Hello, my name is Miranda, I am a gymnast, a coach and the student representative at Cherwell Gymnastics Club.
I have been doing Gymnastics for 10 years now and I have learnt so much, for example, from being a coach I’ve learnt leadership, determination, discipline and gained new experiences. I have made so many friends at the club and the atmosphere is lively. Growing up with gymnastics has always been a big thing for me as I have looked up to so many coaches as amazing role-models.
What we do in gymnastics?
In gymnastics you learn new skills and moves with different sessions every week. Such as forward rolls, handstands, cartwheels and circle overs. Also, you have the opportunity to socialise and make new friends.
We have well trained coaches and are always open to welcoming new coaches. The club is open from ages 5-18.
Why do gymnastics?
By doing gymnastics it helps you to overcome your fears and improve your confidence. Every year the club holds a competition that takes places in the summer. It is a small competition with a few other clubs. If you do enter you have the opportunity to win some medals with a short routine that you would have prepared in the sessions.
I would say to someone who was thinking about joining the Club “go for it” because we need people who want a challenge or a sense of belonging. Gymnastics has made me forget some of my problems. It’s like a whole new world where you are not judged. It makes you feel like you are part of a community.
Staying safe at gymnastics.
To stay safe in the gym there are several rules that we all should follow;
- It is not appropriate to touch other gymnasts because people may not like it.
- Let your coach know if you need to leave the group for a drink or to go to the toilet.
- Don’t go on equipment unless a coach has asked you to.
- Look carefully when moving around the gym to avoid crashes.
- Speak to a coach or your parent if anything makes you feel sad or uncertain.
To ensure that we keep safe from COVID-19 we must follow a few extra rules;
- When coughing, cover your mouth with your hands or elbows and then wash hands immediately afterwards.
- The doors and windows will be left open for ventilation therefore please ensure you wear warm clothes.
- Please make sure you wash your hands before the start of your session.
- During the session, the coaches will distribute hand sanitiser for you to use between apparatus stations.
- At all times keep your voices low and listen carefully to the coaches.
- Use your own chalk (bring a Tupperware or bag with your name on and ask a coach for a block)
Progress through our award scheme
Cherwell Gymnastics Club has an award scheme. You start with badge 1 and can work all the way up to badge 10. Learn more about all the badges here.
Improve at home.
Here are some ideas for safe things you can practise at home.
Learn more about gymnastics